THE ISRAELITE ACADEMY
A Brief History
In 1919, the late Chief Rabbi Wentworth Arthur Matthew founded the Commandment Keepers Ethiopian Hebrew Congregation of the Living G-D, Pillar and Ground of Truth in Harlem, NY. The Israelite Academy traces its origin back to the Ethiopian Hebrew Rabbinical College that was established by Chief Rabbi W. A. Matthew in 1925. From 1925 to 1970, Chief Rabbi Matthew served as Dean and Rosh Yeshivah and produced over 30 rabbis. Spiritual and intellectual giants were grown from this simple root.
The college acquired a new name in 1970 – The Israelite Rabbinical Academy. Rabbi Levi Ben Levy served as the Dean of the academy and the work continued. In 1977, Rabbi Levy was elected the next Chief Rabbi of the community and in 1978, he appointed Rabbi K. Z. Yeshurun to succeed him as Dean of the academy. In 1992, Rabbi Sholomo Levy became the Dean of the academy. During the summer of 2001, the members of the Israelite Board of Rabbis voted to transform the Israelite Rabbinical Academy into an institution that would offer courses in Judaic/Israelite education.
This change has allowed for women, laypeople, and those new to the faith to acquire knowledge in a friendly and welcoming environment without the four-year commitment required to enter the rabbinic program.
Rabbi Baruch A. Yehudah was appointed Dean of the Academy and continues to serve in this post.
Click to read more